Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Life Lessons from Jayne Eyre

For the past several weeks, I have been reading the classic Jane Eyre. There have been days when I could hardly put this book down. I have laughed, and I have cried with Jane as she has faced some very dark days.Add Image
This classic has taught me several things, about life. Granted, several of them I already knew, I just needed to be reminded.
The first is that no matter who, or where you are born, your beginnings do not define your life. Jane was born to parents, who died and left her to relatives who never really wanted her. When the Uncle passed away, the Aunt quickly sent Jane off to a school for orphans. Jane could have wallowed in her misery but no, she put on her big girl panties and became a governess.
When Jane was faced with the fact that she was in love with a married man, she never gave a second thought to throwing caution to the wind, and living a life that she found degrading. Jane valued herself, her reputation, and most of all her honor. She respected herself, and no matter what the cost , she never dishonored herself.
When things did not go as expected and the marriage was suddenly stopped short, Jane made a serious error. She did not have a PLAN B! All women and men for that matter need to have a plan B, just in case plan A doesn't work out too well. Jane walked out into the cold of winter leaving Mr. Rochester behind, with only 20 shillings. In my own life, as a single Mom for many years, I soon learned that you had better have a plan B somewhere close at hand!
All in all I have so enjoyed reading this beautiful classic, enjoying the beautiful words, and poetry that coincide. As I continue in my readings for 2011, I am certain that Jane Eyre and the lessons that I have learned from her will stay with me for quite some time!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, if you keep your integrity you will always have something of great value! I always have a Plan B b/c I have to use it more often than not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how these classics have lessons that pertain to us in the 21st century?

    ReplyDelete